Evolving into a Healthy Life

/
0 Comments
I get asked a lot of questions on how to be healthy and expressions of frustration on its difficulty. To me, good health is not a stringent diet or strict workout routine. I find that true health comes from balance amongst many contributing factors. A good starting point to a healthy life is a healthy diet. Eating fresh, organic, ingredients that my body responds well to, is my basis. I am not anti-carbs, I don’t count calories, I enjoy a nice cocktail, and I don’t shy away from sweets. I am mindful of what I eat and how my body reacts to it. As I get older, go through different external stresses, or have a change in environment, my body is impacted. If I don’t like the reaction I’m getting from food (breaking out, fatigue, excess weight gain) then I change what I’m eating. It is a learning process of understanding the constant evolution of my body. 
A clean diet gives me a strong foundation to be able to attain an all encompassing healthy lifestyle. Going for a run, sitting in meditation, spending quality time with family, reconnecting with old friends, making new ones, lifting heavy weights, stretching in pigeon pose, laughing until it hurts, sharing a bottle of wine over good conversation, snuggling with my dog, reading a good book, passing on knowledge, surrounding myself with people that make the light in my heart grow bigger, going on a hike, falling during my handstand attempts and taking photos of things I find beautiful (apologies to all the writers for the run-on sentence). These are the things that make me healthy. 
I am healthy means I am happy. It means I am balanced both mentally and physically. The hardest part is to acknowledge that which does not serve me well and to let it go. That means everything from food, to certain workouts, to relationships with people. It can be emotionally and/or physically difficult at first but the rewards far exceed what the challenge ever was. This is what healthy means to me. Explore what it means for you. 

 

No comments:

Popular Posts